WHAT’S SO GREAT ABOUT HIGHLAND PARK, 90042? Lots of things!
- It was the City of Los Angeles’ first suburb. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_Park,_Los_Angeles
- It contains the city’s largest HPOZ. http://www.preservation.lacity.org/hpoz/la/highland-park which recently incorporated the Garvanza area to make it even bigger.
- It’s an easy commute to Downtown LA or downtown Pasadena by car, bus or the Gold Line. http://www.metro.net/
- The art scene is amazing. http://www.arroyoartscollective.org/. Best event is the annual Arroyo Arts Discovery Tour held the 3rd Sunday of November.
- There is an Artwalk the second Saturday of every month. http://www.nelaart.org/
- Chicken Boy lives here. 5558 N. Figueroa St. http://www.chickenboy.com/
- Great food! Lots of Latin foods from tacos to menudo, but there is more. Check out my Restaurant Guide. www.LADigs.com for names and addresses, but here are some highlights:
Cafe de Leche
- Super A Foods has handmade tortillas and much, much more. 5250 York Blvd. 90042. http://www.superafoods.com/
- Figueroa Produce has a real meat market, organic produce, a wide variety of ethnic foods--all at great prices! http://figueroaproduce.com/
- Galco’s Old World Market and Soda Pop Stop. 5702 York Blvd. Long for some orange Nehi or curious about Grapette? Over 400 kinds of soda here. Plus good deli sandwiches. http://www.sodapopstop.com/
What are your favorite parts of Highland Park?