Call Us Now

323-274-2148

Email Us

info@tracyking.com
Slider

LA Digs - Northeast LA Real Estate Blog

Welcome to LA Digs, the real estate and Northeast Los Angeles community blog written by Realtors Tracy King and Keely Myres.

Here, we share tips, market updates, and local news bits to keep you informed on what's happening in Northeast Los Angeles and the surrounding neighborhoods. Read on to learn about the latest in your neighborhood!

Foreclosure and Short Sale Update for Eagle Rock, 90041

How did Eagle Rock do with distressed property sales this year? It’s interesting. In 2009, there were 118 sales of which 17 were short sales (15%) and 45 were foreclosures (38%); so a total of 53% of all sales were distressed. The average sales price was $446,000.

In 2010, we had 22% short sales (28) and only 12% (16) foreclosures of the 130 sales recorded (according to the itech Multiple Listing Service).  So 34% of all sales were distressed properties. The average sales price was $468,000. It’s good to see an improvement, but we certainly haven’t “bounced back” as many hoped that we would.

A big difference is that there were a lot more foreclosure sales in 2009 than in 2010. I credit the increase in short sales and resultant decrease in foreclosure sales to the change in lenders policies toward short sales. They became much more amenable to granting short sales.  I closed more short sales this year (3) than the year before (0), all of them listings.

It looks like we are doing a bit better in 2010 with somewhat more sales and higher average sales prices as well as fewer distressed properties sold overall. Another way to say it is that 66% of sales in 2010 were “regular” sales as opposed to 47% in 2009. It’s interesting to note, however, that the highest sales price in 2009 was over $200,000 higher than the highest in 2010. In my opinion, the reason there were more distressed sales in 2009 than regular sales was more because “regular” sellers wanted to wait out the downturn and sell later when the market recovered.  This year, some of those people either couldn’t or decided not to wait any longer to sell. Price is of key importance, as well as the perceived desirability of the property for sale.  Buyers are not as reluctant to make offers much lower than the asking price today, which is helpful when they are sincere offers that can be negotiated up. One of my sales this year started off with a $165,000 difference in offer vs. list price, and we eventually ended up at $65,000 less than asking.  With no predictions or indications of a quick return to prosperity in 2011, it will be interesting to see how sellers and buyers deal with that. I have noticed that the uptick in interest rates has encouraged an end-of-the-year flurry of business.
Continue reading
1183 Hits

Value, Price and the Real Estate Market

If last week the highest sale in, say, the 90041 zip code was $695,000 and this week the highest sale is $748,000—does that mean that the value of my house just went up $40,000?
Continue reading
1207 Hits

Market Update for Eagle Rock 90041 and Highland Park February 22, 2010

These numbers indicate an active market where, in general, almost as many properties are selling as fast as there are properties coming onto the market.

Continue reading
1155 Hits

Saving Your Wooden Windows

If you don't plan to be dancing in the streets all evening on Tuesday, January 20, you might want to go to the Eagle Rock Valley Historical Society meeting and learn about saving your wooden windows. Ed Sanchez of Window Restoration and Repair, Inc, will tell you how to avoid replacing your stuck, leaky windows. The meeting is at 7 pm at the Center for the Arts, Eagle Rock, at 2225 Colorado Blvd, 90041. The Eagle Rock Historical Society is a wonderful organization and deserves your support. They have a website: http://eaglerockhistory.org.

If I weren't going to be celebrating the Presidential Inauguration, I would definitely be at the meeting. I'm hoping I can find someone who will take notes, or perhaps Mr. Sanchez will be able to do his presentation again somewhere. thumb_window2

Continue reading
1473 Hits